It’s National Blood Donor Month, give the gift of life!
It’s National Blood Donor Month! Celebrate the gift of life and those who work to save them. Donate blood and save lives. During the winter months, blood donations are low. From cancer to sickle cell disease, blood donations are vital to patient survival. Help hospitals and blood banks get blood to patients in need and donate today. Here’s what you need to know about donating blood.
Before you donate blood, you have to make sure you’re eligible. Only a portion of the population is eligible to donate. Protect your health and the health of patients and follow these guidelines.
- You must be 17 years of age or older. If you’re a minor, you must have parental consent to give.
- You must meet the 110lb weight requirement.
- You must be in general good health. If you’re getting over a cold or are taking certain medications, hold off until you’re better.
- You mustn’t have gotten any recent tattoos or piercings.
- You mustn’t have traveled to certain regions recently.
For more information about blood donation eligibility
, visit the Red Cross
Now that you’ve determined that you’re eligible to donate, prepare for your donation the night before.
- Stay hydrated. Drink lots of water to ensure that the donation will go smoothly. The more water you have in your body the fast the donation.
- Eat iron-rich foods. The phlebotomist will want to make sure that your iron levels are good before you donate. If they’re too low, you may be ineligible to donate.
- Wear loose clothing. You want to be comfortable when you donate.
- Don’t forget to bring your I.D. and a list of any medications that you’re taking.
When you donate blood, you can save up to three lives! Fuller Insurance Agency
supports the local community. Located in California, we serve personal and commercial insurance
needs in Chino Hills, Long Beach, Los Angeles, and the surrounding cities. Contact
us for more information.