Keep your fireplace in great shape with these fireplace safety & maintenance tips!
Sitting by a fireplace on cold winter nights can be cozy. But using a fireplace can be dangerous. Be sure to maintain your fireplace to keep you and your home safe all winter long with these fireplace safety tips.
- Have your chimney regularly inspected by a professional. They can find and help repair any damages.
- Clear the area around the fireplace of any materials. Keep a minimum of a three-foot perimeter.
- Make sure that your chimney is clean and free of any debris or small animals. Have a chimney cap installed to help keep it clean.
- Always open the flue before you use the fireplace. Proper ventilation is important.
- Use the metal mesh screen when your fireplace is in use. It helps to keep the embers from flying around your living room.
- Only burn approved materials. Use dry wood and never burn plastic as it releases hazardous chemicals.
- Keep a fire extinguisher on hand.
- Never leave open flames unattended. Be sure to extinguish the fire before you leave the house or go to bed.
- Don’t close glass doors to your fireplace while a fire is burning.
- Be sure that you have a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector installed in your home.
- Make sure the ashes cool before you throw them out. Hot embers are a fire risk.
- When lighting a fire be mindful of how you do it. Use a match or lighter.
Keep your home extra safe with homeowners insurance
. For assistance finding the right insurance, contact
the professionals at Fuller Insurance Agency
. Located in California, we serve personal and commercial insurance needs in Chino Hills, Long Beach, Los Angeles, and the surrounding cities.