Stay safe during El Niño and prevent flood damage with these safety tips and flood insurance!
This winter, as El Niño settles and heavy rains hit Southern California, make sure you’re prepared for floods. Invest in flood insurance and follow these flood safety tips to ensure you stay safe and dry all season.
Throughout the storm.
- Build barriers. Invest in getting sandbags to build retaining walls. These structures can help protect your property from flooding and mudslides.
- Be vigilant. Pay attention to news reports. They can alert you to any flash flood warnings and tell you which areas to avoid.
- Flood watch v. flood warning. A watch means that there’s a possibility of a flood, whereas a warning means that there will be a flood.
- Clean drains. Make sure all your gutters and storm drains are clear of debris. If they get clogged, it increases your chances of flooding.
- Get a roof inspection. Your roof should be inspected annually, but with torrential downpours expected this season, be sure that your roof is in good shape. Making sure it’s damage free can help you prevent leaks and water damage.
- Have a plan. Just in case you do need to be evacuated, plan out what your family intends to do. Choose a meeting place in the event that you’re not all home.
- Turn Around, Don’t Drown. If you do encounter flooding head back to where you came from. Floods can escalate at a moment’s notice. Even a couple feet of water can sweep your car away. Don’t risk it, and move away to higher ground.
- Turn off your power. In the event of flooding, there’s a possibility of water and electricity mixing. Avoid any risk of shock by shutting down the power.
Stay safe during the El Niño season. Be aware of your surroundings and invest in flood insurance
the professionals at Fuller Insurance Agency
. Located in California, we serve personal and commercial insurance needs in Chino Hills, Long Beach, Los Angeles, and the surrounding cities.